[Project-ideas] GSoC Project question

Abhranil Das abhranildas at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 1 03:53:50 PDT 2012

I am Abhranil Das, a fourth year student of an Integrated Masters in Physics at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Kolkata. I have been reading up the project ideas at Ankur for some time now, and I am interested to participate in a project with the group under Google Summer of Code 2012. I sent Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay this e-mail yesterday prior to starting a discussion on the mailing list, but I haven't got a reply yet. Well, it's a weekend, so I didn't really expect a quick reply, but there's not a lot of time left for GSoC so I got a little panicky and decided to repost the e-mail to the mailing list.
My CV is available from my homepage (if this link is removed, my homepage is the first search result if you google 'Abhranil Das'). Although I am not a student of computer science, I am pretty passionate about programming and am willing to spend more time in the future in programming and developing. This is my Stack Overflow developer profile which lists my contributions and various technical articles I have written in the past. As a short summary, I am very confident in Python and MATLAB (which I don't think will be useful), moderately in Perl, and not so much in C and C++. I have extensive experience developing web applications on Google App Engine with HTML, CSS & Javascript in the front end and Python in the server end. Inquivesta and Artarium are two examples of websites I have developed using this.I am especially eager to help with the efforts of standardizing and spreading the use of Bengali in the digital medium, which is the reason I got interested in your project. But I don't have any prior experience in these technologies. Before I discuss my project plans I have a couple of little problems:Although it is not mandatory, undergraduates in our position usually work on an academic project every summer, as I have for the past three years. So there is some chance that I may have to work on an academic project this summer, in which case I cannot participate in any capacity in your project. But if not, I shall have no commitments other than this project during the whole of the summer period. I can only be sure of which of these will happen by mid-April. GSoC wants mentoring organizations to finalize their list of students by April 20. In this scenario, would you advice me to apply for your project?As you will see in my CV and developer profile, I am confident with Python, MATLAB and Perl, and have some experience with C and C++. I have seen Python being mentioned in the Ankur projects. But in general there is no explicit criteria of programming knowledge mentioned in the ideas page. Could you kindly take a look at my programming experience and let me know whether you think it is okay for me to apply for one of your projects, given the skill set you would require? Of course, if I need to learn new tools to help with the project, that's absolutely no problem for me.
Abhranil Das.