[Anubad] Fwd: FUEL translation now available on Zanata!

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 04:05:35 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Saibal Ray <sray at redhat.com> wrote:
> On সোমবার 26 আগস্ট 2013 11:13 পূর্বাহ্ণ, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Saibal Ray <sray at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I would love to contribute in this task. Can you please giude me for the
>>> same. Thanks.
>>

>> I'd like to understand more about the rationale which switched over
>> (fairly arbitrarily, in my opinion) from TranslateWiki.net to Zanata.
>> Especially because I haven't seen a notice from the FUEL upstream
>> proposing this switch-over.
>>

> Hi. Any update. Thanks.

I am not too sure about what update you are asking for. However, I'd
guess that this is related to my need to understand the rationale
behind what exactly is happening. Perhaps it would be fair to say that
I am still not sure about whether the FUEL team has thought this issue
through or, if they are delivering their fiduciary duty as an
upstream.

Aside from that, I understand and appreciate that there may exist
reasons for you to contribute to FUEL. And, to the best of my
knowledge, the FUEL upstream provides ways to do that. So, it should
not be too difficult to fill in with the remaining modules.

But, the Bengali (India) translations to which Ankur contributes are
not standardized as per FUEL. FUEL is "Frequently Used Entries in
Localization" by that very definition it is a small subset of any
terminology. And, the number of entries in FUEL are woefully
inadequate to be useful for any form of "standardization". A subset is
neither a terminology and nor is it a glossary. It is just a
mathematical operation on a large number of words. In short, pretty
much hopelessly inadequate.

Aside from this, it considers words like "detective" to be frequently
used in localization cf.
<http://fuelproject.org/terminology?utf8=%E2%9C%93&module=&langcode=&search_mode_id=1&source=detective&commit=Search>
- which is very damning and awkward.

TL;DR - if you want to contribute to FUEL, please go ahead. But do not
use that content to check for consistency of your translation
contributions. It is better to contribute and extend the existing
terminology project for Bengali.

<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>