[Anubad] Introduction - Aniket Handa

Aniket Handa atneik at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 01:45:58 PDT 2012

Hello there,

My name is Aniket Handa, currently enrolled in Jaypee Institute of
Information Technology, Noida, INDIA. My interests range from Computer
Vision, Computer Graphics to developing Android Apps. I am a believer of
FOSS and have also been a part of few projects. I truly admire Ankurs'
goals of promoting Bengali language.

Now, as of GSoC I was going through the Ideas page, and was instantly
interested in some projects mentored by Mr. Sankarshan namely:

   - New Keyboard specific to input for mobile devices.
   - Improve the accuracy of OCR tools for bengali language to 98%
   - Improving information retrieval methods for OCR data sets consisting
   of Indic scripts.

My question of concern is: Will *not* knowing the bengali language hinder
in my project endeavor?
What I suppose is some knowledge is necessary in order to present a good
keyboard layout in case of first project Idea. And in case of OCR it
greatly depends upon the technique being used ( As one might think of
improving the OCR specific to the language, or upon some global or local
matching).

Looking forward for contributing.

Regards,
Aniket Handa