[Anubad] [Project-ideas] Glossary Tool to index available strings

Arani Bhattacharya arani89 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 09:34:23 PDT 2012

Sorry for my mistake. I had by mistake sent it personally to one member,
instead of sending it to the list.

<sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 2:38 AM, Arani Bhattacharya <arani89 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Thank you for your feedback. After some introspection and discussion
>> I felt that we can find a solution in the following way. First, we
>> will have an index of words on some server. The user, while entering
>> some text, can copy some word to the clipboard, and then by clicking
>> some icon can check if the spelling is correct and, if wrong, then
>> obtain suggestions (which will be obtained from central server). In
>> case the user is convinced that his/her spelling is correct, but it is
>> not present on the central server, the user can add this word to the
>> central server's dictionary. On the server, a group of approved people
>> can, whenever convenient, check what words have been added, and either
>> approve or reject them one by one.
>
> This is something that has promise if you opt to think along further
> about the possible combinations of usage. And, whether the review of
> the words can be made easier. A glossary is not merely about the
> correct spellings. Here's a small example - consider the phrase "log
> in". A somewhat ubiquitous and well worn phrase that everyone is
> familiar with. And yet, various pieces of software could have
> different ways of translations and, newer pieces could have more
> different ways. For example, it could be different on GNOME, KDE,
> Facebook and Twitter. And so, there has to be a way to keep track of
> all this diversity and present the translator with a form of choice.
>
>> One possible problem with this solution is that using the application
>> might be too cumbersome for the user (with the method specified
>> above). First, the user has to copy the text, and only then can he/she
>> use the application (in my opinion, monitoring what the user is typing
>> raises too many security issues) by clicking on some icon present. I
>> would be grateful if someone could suggest a simpler use-case.
>>
>> I would be grateful for the community's comments on this idea.
>
> The underlying premise of the idea sounds good. An aspect that you'd
> probably need to think in addition with the above is the 'offline
> mode'. A lot of translation happens in a disconnected manner ie. the
> tool/hardware is not connected to an active network. The ability to
> use the input from the user when translating and do in a somewhat
> non-invasive way the changes and suggestions is a great one to have.
> The evolution/augmentation of the glossary can happen in both offline
> and online modes.
>
> At the risk of repeating myself, please have a formal proposal in the
> system. Having more discussions on the page/system helps the
> organization and, the proposal lifecycle as well.
>

> --
> sankarshan mukhopadhyay
> <http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>

Thank you for your ideas. I did not know that proposals can be edited
whenever required, and so I was clarifying things here. As requested,
I have now submitted a formal proposal, and this includes possible
ways to implement your suggestion. The formal proposal is now present
here:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/arani89/1

Please do give your suggestions.

With regards,